Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Love of Old Music

I'm going to out myself here. 

I'm not a hipster.

I wouldn't know how to be hip if someone wrapped me in horn-rimmed glasses, a scarf and faux-hawked my hair into oblivion.  All the while off-the-beat dancing to some unpronounceably-named band from a small town in the midwest.

Rap is beyond me.

I get the message, or at least what the message was when there was a message.  I'm pretty sure Public Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, and early NWO weren't all about money, cars, and how sweet it is to be a rapper making fat cash.

That's all been said.

My question is for those poor, maligned miscreants like myself who have a soft spot in their hearts for retro music.  It doesn't have to be classic rock.  I don't pull my greasy hair into my eyes and weep for the nostalgic loss of Kurt. 

Old music is good.  Trust me.

Part and parcel of being a teenager is to hate all things your parents love, correct?

I think not.

T-Rex.  Bang a Gong.  Came out ten years before I was born, and I loved it the first time I heard it.

Paul Simon.  Anything he's ever done.  Most of it before I was born.  Amazing artist.

Sex Pistols.

Sabbath.

Zeppelin.

Mozart.

Beethoven.

Miles Davis.

Sam Cooke.  That dude can (could) sing.

These are just a few of the bands and artists that were awesome before I was born.  Many more were awesome in my early years, and admittedly so, fantastic artists emerge every day. 

I'm just a little tired of having someone's eyes roll into the back of their head when I admit to liking CCR. 

Another dude that could sing.  Can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment