Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Movie Review Wednesdays: Willow

Every Wednesday I will review a movie.
These will get better in time, I hope.
Not hope.  Swear.  I swear these will get better.
That being said, let's begin.
In future, I will also take requests and or suggestions for reviews, but for the time being, I will start with a nostalgic favourite: Willow.

The Skinny:  The world is in a dark time.  Nice start.  The evil queen, Bavmorda (terrifying, horrible lady with veins popping out all over her hands) is hunting down all the newborn girls (female version of the JC story, am I right?) to destroy the one who is prophesied (100 dollar word of the day) to overthrow her.  Enter Willow Ufgood (played by your favourite Ewok, Wicket) to save the day. 

Cast:
Willow...Warwick Davis (you might also recognize him as GRIPHOOK, that nasty little goblin)
Mad Martigan...Val Kilmer (about 200 pounds ago)
Sciorsia...Joanne Whalley (she dumped Val Kilmer about 250 pounds ago)
General Kale...Pat Roach (the big dude that gets chopped up by the plane in Raiders of the Lost Ark)
Bavmorda...Jean Marsh (I know literally nothing else about her, but she scared the crap out of me as a kid)

My grading scale:
A= Awesome
C= Crappy
H= How the heck did this get the greenlight?
W= Watch it now, it will change your life.

Grade for Willow: W

Willow gets a W because I am unfairly biased.  I watched this when I was eight, back in 1988.  The effects blew my mind, I wanted to be a Nelwyn, and all big people were Daikinis for a while.  It hasn't dated as well as other movies of the day, but I will always have a fond spot in my heart for Willow.  Next week's review will be less swayed by judge's childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment